Tuesday 5 November 2013

One Year

When I started this blog just over a year ago my aim wasn't completely clear and in all honesty I was primarily looking for an outlet for something of interest to me, a sounding board for my tastes that wasn't a narcissistic social media vehicle. What I did wan't was comment and opinion and for like minded people to ask x or say why don't you try y. I am not proclaiming myself a fountain of knowledge, only that I take pride in how I dress and welcome the ideas for inspiration from as many mediums as possible.

We live in a multi-functional society and it is not practical to wear a suit or more formal dress all the time. I for one work in an office and despite being grateful for the platform this affords me to play with my more sartorial affections I prefer a casual aesthetic when outside of the working environment, if not to diversify my wardrobe then almost certainly to separate the instances in which I consider each option.

One thing I was certain of from the get go was that I felt the need to impart my experience in trying to get a 'perfect fit'. I now know that this is impossible however for years I had been chasing an unattainable ideal when what I should have worked on instead were the more manageable details that, once altered, come together to create a fit that is as close to perfect as the limitations of our existence will allow. 

This perfectionist ideal at times would burden me, constantly debating every minute decision to the point that I would be so conscious about possibly making a bad decision I would change an outfit almost completely to avoid being disappointed. In more recent years I have learned to accept that my opinions and inspirations were based on fit and form that was suited to people with a very different stature to that of my own and that their aspirations were to accentuate specific notes in their own style that would not be possible for me. Overall it's the realisation, to satisfy yourself that you have made the best decisions available to you when getting dressed you first need to separate your inspirations and ideals and work on your own dimensions.

Ultimately it's unlikely that you have the same body shape as Gianni Agnelli or the Duke of Windsor, it's less likely that you will appear as relaxed as Yasuto Kamoshita or Hirofumi Kurino or have the presence of Luciano Barbera and Antonio Liverano. 

All these men are great icons people to adhere to, all have a fantastic sense of style and their own limitations but most of all they are completely comfortable in how they appear and how they present themselves. Their looks do not feel contrived in any way, you are not under the impression they spend hours in front of the mirror deliberating what to wear. These choices are instinctive and subconscious, made up of many life experiences. All these men are also of age, they've learn't over time what suits and they only apply what works for them.

Inspiration for these gentleman for things such as colour combinations may come from works of art or scenes of a film, from stunning scenery or home cooking. It's in these experiences that we collect our veritable colour palette and adapt it to our own environment. It may seem profound to think of something so trivial in the grand scheme like this, but for those who do enjoy the process that much hopefully this opinion will resonate. 

For me that is why these people are so affirming, because the way in which they adorn themselves is appealing without being ostentatious. A sense of style or a stylish person combines a number of attributes the ones we see are attributable to taste but beyond that each man has a number of other influences that make up a personality and it is the successful portrayal of this personality that gives these people their appeal.

So take inspiration, don't conform and be prepared to make mistakes, they happen to the best of us.


Antonio Liverano (right)


Duke of Windsor (4th from left)


Gianni Agnelli (right, with Michele Platini)


Hirofumi Kurino (far right)


Luciano Barbera


Yasuto Kamoshita

Photo Source: Barney's New York, Scout Blog, The Sartorialist, DagoSpia, AltoMareBlu, NY Times, Hypebeast

No comments:

Post a Comment