Friday 18 January 2013

In Praise of Albam

This Christmas as apposed to so many before it I had someone else to consider which begged the question what to get? But more importantly what do I want?

Having not been on holiday in quite a while and desperately needing some Vitamin D we decided to forego any frivolous spunking up the wall and set a £20 limit to the our spends, which is a stark reminder of what little you can get for that princely sum nowadays.

Cometh the hour, cometh the (wo)man and as you would expect the amount of consideration and planning that had gone in to the process was immense. Not too long ago my belle had been offered an opportunity with a British company birthed and based in her home town, fortunately for me she declined and chose to make her way to London to look for employment, however her admiration for the company has lingered on.

Is this dragging on a bit? Shall I just get on with it and show you? Enough said...








It's a purse!
Yes, a purse, but a very cleverly crafted object and something I so desperately needed without even realising it!

I've carried it with me since the moment I received it and as you can see being brushed and scratched against my keys and zips has already begun to age the leather. As this grows and becomes supple and more tarnished it will be cherished even more and I suddenly feel very belied of my ability to buy for someone else, which up until this Christmas I had thought quite well of.

The most interesting detail is that the purse has been made in Bethnal Green, E2 moments from where I have grown up, and so a fairly simple looking thing is also representation of something more. A tough leather with subtle simple finishing made a short walk from my home by a company born in Nottingham.

Without this sounding to much like an ode to someone, this is a fantastic gift and if you like the look of this Albam have a great range of accessories from key fobs to patchwork quilts and combs to rucksacks (think of all the things you'd want to procure for a hunting lodge).

Now I can say, 'I'm a man, with a purse!' and not feel like a big girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment