Wednesday 12 June 2013

Hanky Folds: Preview

I've been thinking about the direction of the blog more recently as I often find myself leaning towards a more relaxed 1950/60's aesthetic in my spare time, although I have to adopt a formal dress for work. I know the suited look is not to everyone's taste but in one situation or another you will be called upon to wear one or at very least a jacket, and in this instance a hanky is a must.

It will probably seem an obvious idea and lead you to believe me of little imagination but I something that I see all too much of is people making a hash of an adornment which should be subtle or complimentary and merely accentuate the bolder details of an outfit.

I wanted to offer something by way of advice, a guide or tips, something with continuity that would be consistent every week or two in addition to all the usual bits and bobs, and I'm hoping that this can act as a barometer for inspiration and help to aid decisions when picking accessories.

Since the introduction of programs like Mad Men (I think that is its first mention on the blog, which for 9 month's work is pretty good, no? sorry it was gonna crop up somewhere) and The Hour the pocket square or handkerchief ,or pochette as the #menswear mob like to call it, has found its way back in to the fabric of our formal attire.

Traditionally handkerchiefs would be fashioned from left over material when having a shirt made. Now they have become a statement and one at which companies such as Drakes excel, offering beautiful intricate patterns and printed designs.

Starting with a basic flat fold and for as long as I can think of varied techniques I will post guides to getting a good lie and how to get the best from your square.

If you have any requests or specific folds that you'd like me to cover please get in touch, we're more than happy to lend a hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment