Wednesday 10 October 2012

SLACK(er)S

Break or no break? - That is the question

When it comes to the lower half of your composition personal preference in fit is left to the 'sartorialist' in us all.

Personally I'm not keen on my trouser leg and my shoes ever meeting so I have them altered, tapered usually to 6 and 3 quarter or 7 inches in width, and a centimetre or so above the top of my shoe. Obviously this is not to everyones taste but it does give you a chance to show another element of your outfit, a flash of flesh or sock maybe.

'Baggy trousers' is a song by Madness and should be nothing but. The shape of your legs and feet should be accentuated, tapered legs (not skinny fit) give a more appealing silhouette.

Apply the same rules to your jeans, take them to your tailor. You can not expect denim to fit 'off the peg' and if you're going to invest in a snazzy pair of shoes, the last thing you want is them hidden away by a bootcut flare.

For me these cargo trousers in dark grey are the best way of going for something a little less straight up and down than chino's or jeans.

I get the impression that most people under 40 are afraid of the word trousers because of they can only think of them in a formal sense. Displacing the myth can be achieved by experimenting with textures, wools and linens if tailored to fit are a good way to break up the monotony of chino's/cotton pants and jeans.

Don't get me wrong they're by no means a lesser accoutrement its just nice to have something else hanging in the wardrobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment