Thursday 22 August 2013

Brand Watch: H&B London

Whether you like your shirt with single or double cuffs there is no denying that a pair of cufflinks denote a sense of an era gone by, the 1920's and before, when gentleman were gentleman and the debonair aristocrats of the country would head to the home counties for the weekend to get dosed up on spirited alcohol, cutting a rug into the small hours.

These days the popularity of double cuff shirts is usually retained for a business environment, but what of the humble cufflink?

I'm not a big jewellery fan even despite the recent popularity of men's beads and bracelets I'm usually only wearing a watch in addition to the typical garb. I like to keep adornments simple with clean lines and the same can be said for my shirt cuffs. I'll go for something silver in colour to compliment my watch and avoid anything too shiny. I've always found it fairly difficult to meet my requirements and consequently I only own only two pairs of cufflink to date.

When I spoke with Stephen Brister of H&B London I found a kinship. Someone who had been disappointed by the lack of quality and been thrust into making a change. It was a personal concession that forged the way for Stephen after he was left searching a lack-lustre market for a suitable accompaniment to a important social date. A fruitless forage meant that he had to enlist the services of a family member to lend a hand. This experience left a lasting impression and from this the inception of H&B was to come.

H&B aim to create something individual to be treasured, like a heirloom passed down from generations. Their artisans craft from the finest materials using vested techniques perfected over the ages. This doting and time devoted has helped to realise an incredibly simple yet handsome aesthetic.

Stephen was kind enough to give me the chance to try, first hand, what he was putting down. Given the choice I picked a geometric shape set of cufflinks, my consideration was based on what I was hoping would be complimentary lines to edges and hems in my more tailored wear. The links themselves have a brushed alloy like finish and the tough angular finishes make them a fitting addition to even busy shirt patterns.

After a week of solid wear I was clamouring over my shirts for more double cuff options to give me another excuse to take these for a spin. Now my previously unloved shirts are seeing the light of day once more and all thanks to H&B.

I was incredibly pleased with my choice and couldn't recommend more heavily checking these guys out if you find yourself in a predicament for formal attire. As well as cufflinks you will also find an accomplished range of leather goods. You can view the full collection at handblondon.com.







No comments:

Post a Comment