Tuesday 13 August 2013

Sebago 'Made in the USA'

A few weeks back, the 19th July to be precise, Michigan based footwear company Sebago had a preview showing of their SS14 collection at the London flagship store on Regent Street.

Unfortunately due to personal commitments I couldn't attend but from what I hear the event went swimmingly, with champagne and oysters laid on for the do.

Sebago are a brand that I have overlooked this summer, not for any particular reason it just happened that way. Probably most notable for their 'boat-shoes' (I've put that term in inverted commas because it needs revision, yet the alternative is deck-shoe which adds 50 years to the perceived age of its wearer. Can we think of a less pretentious name?). The rest of their range had almost passed me by, but thanks to the wonderful world of Instagram I noticed a friend sporting some might fine looking green leather penny loafers which deserved a bit more attention.

I've always loved penny loafers, I love the different era's and stylish traditions they encompass. The preppy/ivy league definition and the mod culture which continue to inspire. Unfortunately because of my diminutive stature and stocky build there was only a very brief period of my life in which I was slim enough to even consider being a mod, and that faded rather rapidly to my dismay. All is not lost mind, and penny loafers are probably the most reliable pair of shoes I own to accompany shorts in summer.

This summer Sebago have introduced a 'Made in the USA' moniker to the production line. This collection is hand sewn in Maine and constructed by one of the oldest tanneries in North America, the Horween leather tanners. Their cow and horse hides are renowned for durability and comfort lasting and hard wear.

For a jazzy turn they've injected some colour and 'hey presto' a fully fledged summer swathe.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment